This study examined organizations’ customer experience efforts and competencies as reported by customer experience professionals. Some highlights include:
- CX is a top priority. Customer experience is a ‘significant’ or ‘critical priority’ for 59% of respondents’ organizations. Sixty percent said they had a senior executive in charge of CX, and 54% had a centralized CX group in place for a year or more.
- Human-channels deliver the best experience. Respondents rated the customer experiences that their organizations delivered over the phone with an agent or in a store or branch more highly than those delivered through other channels.
- Organizations are in early stages of CX maturity. No organization in the study reached the top stage of CX maturity. Most are either in stage one (Investigate, 52%) or stage two (Initiate, 29%). Evaluate your organization’s CX skills and competencies to find out your current performance using the Customer Experience (CX) Maturity Assessment.
- CX leaders use more insights. CX leaders are more active users of all six listening posts we asked about, with the largest gap in journey feedback and always-on listening. CX leaders are also more likely to embrace the use of data and analytics to make key decisions.
- CX laggards lack CX skills. CX leaders identify integration across systems and other competing priorities as their top obstacles to CX success, while CX laggards struggle the most with a lack of critical CX skills.
Here are the figures for this Data Snapshot:
- Time With Centralized CX Team and Leader
- Priority on Improving Experience
- Effectiveness of Customer Interaction Channels
- Evaluating CX Technology, Competency, and Culture
- Core CX Metric and Customer Listening Posts
- Obstacles to CX Success
- XM Institute CX Competency Model
- Most Prevalent CX Skills
- Least Prevalent CX Skills
- CX Maturity Assessment
- CX Competency and Maturity Assessment Results
- CX Maturity Score Distribution
- Leadership Support for CX: Leaders Versus Laggards
- Channel Effectiveness: Leaders Versus Laggards
- Core CX Metrics: Leaders Versus Laggards
- Usage of Listening Posts: Leaders Versus Laggards
- Obstacles to CX Success: Leaders Versus Laggards
- Company Culture: Leaders Versus Laggards