The 2017 Temkin Loyalty Index (TLi) evaluates how loyal 10,000 U.S. consumers feel towards 329 companies across 20 industries. To determine companies’ TLi, we asked respondents to rate how likely they are to exhibit five loyalty-related behaviors: repurchasing from the company, recommending the company to others, forgiving the company if it makes a mistake, trusting the company, and trying the company’s new offerings. Our research shows that:
- ACE Rent A Car and Advantage Rent-A-Car earned the highest TLi, while Time Warner Cable earned the lowest.
- Supermarkets engender the strongest loyalty in their customers, while TV/Internet service providers engender the least.
- NFCU and ACE Rent a Car most outpace their industries, while Spirit Airlines and Avis lag the farthest behind.
- Customers are most likely to recommend ACE Rent a Car, AmazonFresh, and NFCU and least likely to recommend Time Warner Cable, Comcast, and Cox Communications.
- Customers are most likely to repurchase from Publix, H-E-B, and Trader Joe’s and least likely to repurchase from Time Warner Cable, Comcast, and Cox Communications.
- Customers are most likely to forgive Advantage Rent-A-Car, ACE Rent A Car, Fujitsu and NFCU and least likely to forgive Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Cox Communications.
- Customers are most likely to try a new offering from ACE Rent A Car, Advantage Rent-A-Car, and Siemens and least likely to show product loyalty to Fifth Third, Citizens, and Time Warner Cable.
- USAA and NFCU are the most trusted companies, while Time Warner Cable, Comcast, and Cox Communications are the least.
- All of the industries saw an increase in loyalty over last year, though utilities saw the most dramatic improvement.
This report was originally published by Temkin Group prior to its acquisition by Qualtrics in October 2018. It has been reformatted, but no substantive changes have been made to the content.